About Me

Heritage Lincolnshire is running an innovative approach to managing heritage at risk by training and supporting a network of volunteer 'heritage stewards' to complete surveys on Lincolnshire's heritage assets including historic buildings, places of worship, parks and gardens, conservation areas and archaeological sites. Project Officers Michael Knapton and Natalie Hamilton, together with some of our keen Heritage Stewards, will be writing a weekly blog on the Heritage at Risk project which will provide updates on the latest news and goings on, as well as offering an insight in to the day to day running of the project and the experiences of our Heritage Stewards.

Saturday 9 July 2011

Completing my first Heritage at Risk survey


To complete my first building survey as a Heritage Steward, I first needed to select my building. To start a survey, the Heritage Steward can use the map on the Heritage at Risk website to select a building of their choice.

Zooming in on Lincoln, I ‘clicked’ on a few buildings with which I was already familiar. It was clear there were several other stewards working in Lincoln and a good number of surveys had been completed. However, there were still plenty left to do. Clearly, the city is rich in heritage.

As the Cathedral had already been surveyed, I decided a slightly smaller building would be a good place to start my Heritage Steward career. I chose a Victorian railway building I had walked past many times and not really noticed before.

The survey is intended to be a rapid assessment of the building’s condition. It took about ten minutes to look round, makes a few notes and take some photos.

Back at the computer, I filled in the online form using the guidelines from the induction training course, selecting five of my photos to include. Although I was unfamiliar with the process, the system was easy to use and, in another 40 minutes, I had submitted the form. My first Heritage and Risk building survey was complete.

Karen, Heritage Steward

No comments:

Post a Comment