About Me

Heritage Lincolnshire is running an innovative approach to managing heritage at risk by training and supporting a network of volunteer 'heritage stewards' to complete surveys on Lincolnshire's heritage assets including historic buildings, places of worship, parks and gardens, conservation areas and archaeological sites. Project Officers Michael Knapton and Natalie Hamilton, together with some of our keen Heritage Stewards, will be writing a weekly blog on the Heritage at Risk project which will provide updates on the latest news and goings on, as well as offering an insight in to the day to day running of the project and the experiences of our Heritage Stewards.

Thursday 2 June 2011

Becoming a Heritage Steward


Listening to Radio 4 one afternoon last year, I happened to hear an article promoting a new heritage project beginning in Lincolnshire.

Volunteers were needed to become Heritage Stewards, their primary task being to assist in the recording of the condition of Heritage "assets" (buildings, places of worship and archaeological sites) in the county. I had a few hours a week to spare having reduced my working hours and a few mouse-clicks later, I was in touch with Heritage Lincolnshire and found myself booked onto an introductory course for Heritage Stewards.

Having some previous volunteering experience with a local civic trust, I was not entirely new to the role. However, a year on from hearing that article on the radio, I could not have imagined the many varied and altogether positive experiences that I have enjoyed through becoming a Heritage Steward with Lincolnshire Heritage at Risk. Whilst I hope my small contribution to the project will be of help to the Trust's aims, I have without doubt, gained personally from "becoming involved".

As a volunteer steward, I have been able to develop my general interest in local historic buildings and sites. Having already surveyed around 15 sites, I now feel more confident in the role. Initially I was unsure of some of the terminology used in carrying out a survey (for example, the difference between a pinnacle and a parapet) but I would urge anyone out there who is considering becoming a volunteer not to be discouraged by such things! "Practice makes (almost) perfect", as the saying goes!

In the weeks to come, through my blog, I intend to detail examples of the experiences to be gained through becoming involved in the Lincolnshire Heritage at Risk project as a volunteer.

I'll close by suggesting some basic things to consider to ensure enjoyable volunteering with the Trust:

•That it helps if you have an existing love of Lincolnshire's heritage in all its forms
•That you have a wish to ensure that the county's heritage is maintained for future generations to enjoy
•That you have an openness to learn more about your county's heritage both through your own discoveries and the Trust's free study days
•And lastly, that through your role, you enjoy meeting a wide variety of new people!

Colin, Heritage Steward

No comments:

Post a Comment