About Me

Heritage Lincolnshire is running an innovative approach to managing heritage at risk by training and supporting a network of volunteer 'heritage stewards' to complete surveys on Lincolnshire's heritage assets including historic buildings, places of worship, parks and gardens, conservation areas and archaeological sites. Project Officers Michael Knapton and Natalie Hamilton, together with some of our keen Heritage Stewards, will be writing a weekly blog on the Heritage at Risk project which will provide updates on the latest news and goings on, as well as offering an insight in to the day to day running of the project and the experiences of our Heritage Stewards.

Sunday 12 June 2011

Volunteering as a Heritage Steward


I first heard about the Heritage at Risk project through a volunteering event at the University of Lincoln. I signed up for the introductory course which I attended with a few friends from my course.

The informal training included a presentation on background to the project. The aim was to record the condition and current use of historic buildings in Lincolnshire and contribute to a county-wide survey. After lunch, there was a guided walk around Stamford’s conservation area. We were shown what to look for when surveying a building and given guidance on completing the forms.

I was interested in taking part to find out more about my local area and have experience to include on my CV, as I am hoping to find work in the heritage field.

Unfortunately, due to work commitments, I haven’t done any surveys yet but volunteering with the project doesn’t mean committing to set hours. The surveys can be conducted when you have free time.

I’m now hoping to get out and make use of the good weather to begin surveying. Through my blog, I’m aiming to share my experience of being a ‘beginner’ Heritage Steward volunteer.

Karen, Heritage Steward

No comments:

Post a Comment